My pain fits in the palm of your freezing hand.


"It went horribly." Oliver said before Charlotte could even ask how his job interview went. Charlotte walked over to him until her wet rain boots met his. She slowly reached her arms around him to embrace him. "I'm so sorry." She whispered. Oliver pulled away to wipe the tears from his eyes before they could stream down his face. "I feel so silly, I knew it was too lofty of a dream to hope for" he said. Charlotte looked him in the eyes and calmly stated, "I didn't marry a quitter." Oliver's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "You heard me," she said. Oliver joked, "I thought this was the part where you feel bad for me." Charlotte laughed with him, and her hands found his. "I mean, I would feel bad if this was your 10th interview that went badly, but this was only your first," she said sarcastically. They continued to smile and laugh with each other. "I'm here for you," Charlotte said, "I'm on your side, and I want you to succeed. I know it feels like the whole world is against you, but at least you've got me." Oliver put his hand on her cheek and looked into her hopeful eyes as he said, "You make it so easy for me to remember why I married you." They kissed gently, then with closed eyes, put their foreheads together as they silently breathed. "Here," Charlotte said as she pulled out a chair at their small table, "spill the tea, I want to hear all the little details."









0 comments:

Post a Comment